Reducing Waste and Making Compost Is Easy
Composting solves two problems. It reduces organic waste that may have otherwise ended up in the waste stream and it creates rich, valuable soil that can be mixed into your gardens. Composting is easy and does not need to take up much space on your property.
Here are some basic and easy rules to make your composting efforts successful:
- Composting requires three ingredients:
- Green materials – grass clippings, vegetable and fruit waste, and coffee grounds are all good materials to use.
- Brown materials – dead leaves are perfect sources.
- Water – If there is not enough rain, simply water our compost bin to keep everything moist. Water helps break down the organic matter.
- Do not add meat scraps or pet droppings to your compost pile.
- Alternate rows of these materials for best results.
- Make sure to cut large pieces of feeds stock into smaller pieces.
- Select a cool, shady spot for your compost bin.
- Moisten dry material as it is added throughout the year.
- Turning the pile periodically with help it heat up which speeds up the process.
- Do not tamp down the pile. Good air flow is beneficial to the composting process.
- When the material at the bottom is dark and rich in color, your compost is ready to use.
Growing Better Gardeners is not just our tagline, it is our mission.
RightPlantz is the leading digital marketplace connecting homeowners and garden enthusiasts with local green industry professionals. RightPlantz is where gardening starts. Millions of homeowners around the country search for landscape, lawn care, arborists, irrigation installation and garden centers companies every year. RightPlantz is where green industry businesses grow.